Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Bioactive (maybe new topic)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bioactive (maybe new topic)

Post by SpiderSam on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:45 am

So yes I'm learning towards bioactive environments. Give me poop for substrate like sand all you want Razz

1 malla would be easy add some dirt a layer of leaf litter. Not sure if you would need a drainage layer only because it doesn't get humid like gargyle geckos (who would need a drainage layer) but add some springtails and Woodlice (just to name a few) add some veggies and bam have a living environment and cut down on cleaning poop. Also add live plants and have lighting. I've seen some common boas (more humid) environments with moss and the moss has actually spored and continue to "infest" (not to sure on the better word repopulate?)

2 I have seen beardies done on this and live well with a mix of soil sand and rocks.

3 I'm thinking of doing it for the sand boa. For clean up crew I was thinking Firebrats (more arid silverfish) (silverfish need humidity which is a no no for sandboas) and dermestid beetles of course adding lots of veggies the derms should leave my snake alon. Now I'm not to sure on firebrats it would be a trial run for me as I haven't found info. As for plants I'm not to sure if there is any plants that survive a desert like environment (I cant just moist the ground everyday bad enough my house humidity is around 30%) if there is and also safe for animals let me know. I was thinking doing the leaf litter and putting big rocks at the very bottom and adding a tile in one corner to have a "damper" spot for the derms if need be. That way if the sand boa would dig in there the tile wouldn't squish her.

Idk this is why I don't get sleep at night I just went on a 2 day bio freak out thinking why not. Supposedly it's supposed to help the animal thrive by encouraging natural instinct as well if you have a picky snake it's supposed to help thrive on feeding responses.
SpiderSam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bioactive (maybe new topic)

Post by dermy on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm

SpiderSam wrote:

3 I'm thinking of doing it for the sand boa. For clean up crew I was thinking Firebrats (more arid silverfish) (silverfish need humidity which is a no no for sandboas) and dermestid beetles of course adding lots of veggies the derms should leave my snake alon. Now I'm not to sure on firebrats it would be a trial run for me as I haven't found info. As for plants I'm not to sure if there is any plants that survive a desert like environment  (I cant just moist the ground everyday bad enough my house humidity is around 30%) if there is and also safe for animals let me know. I was thinking doing the leaf litter and putting big rocks at the very bottom and adding a tile in one corner to have a "damper" spot for the derms if need be. That way if the sand boa would dig in there the tile wouldn't squish her.

Yay time for me to give advice [you may or may not like it!]

Dermestids [esp. the kind you find around here not too sure about there] do not like veggies. They like meat [not a living snake don't worry haha] but they won't survive on anything less then dog food [dry works well] I'm unsure how you'd keep the food dry. Heck I'm not even sure it's a good idea to have Dermestids with snakes! [Mainly just because I've never seen/heard of it being done, only with "dead snakes" Wink and that was a different reason!]

Worms would be cool but you'd need to keep it moist.......

Firebrats never had/seen those so I can't help much there sorry Neutral

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIyRnEsqdI4nFHqamUtJqA
dermy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thebugforum.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderSam on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Yeah I have friends who keep bio and have used so far just derms in a sand boa due to the lack of humidity.

I have thought of worms but like you said needs humidity maybe for a Gteen Tree python. Or even a Brazilian Rainbow Boa xD they require lots of humidity. Maybe I'll hold on the bio tank for shai. But plan on doing it for malla for sure
SpiderSam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dermy on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Hmm that is very interesting about the Dermestids, I've never heard of it before....

To be honest I'd wait till you have something that you can just go crazy with, with worms [I have an obsession with worms I'll go see a doctor about it one day Wink ] and maybe if you can plants and stuff that'd be really cool!

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIyRnEsqdI4nFHqamUtJqA
dermy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thebugforum.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top