» Heterothele Villosella
by Salt Mon May 02, 2016 8:50 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Camponotus barbaricus 1 - Arsinoe (Deceased)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Camponotus barbaricus 1 - Arsinoe (Deceased)

Post by laziusniger on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Arsinoe is currently living in an AntHouse formicarium with 9 workers and 2 brood. Not much to report, other than that.

Last edited by laziusniger on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total

laziusniger

View user profile https://laziusnigercolony.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Camponotus barbaricus 1 - Arsinoe (Deceased)

Post by laziusniger on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 am

It's been a while since I updated, I know, but I guess I should. Despite my best efforts in providing mixeds seeds, crushed and whole, honey water, various insects and livefoods.co.uk insect jelly, I was unable to get this colony to eat. They pulled all sorts of stuff down into the nest but just left it to mould - it'll be a right job cleaning it up again for new inhabitants. I even attached a test tube set up full of sand in case they wanted to move into that (like with the Messors), but no luck.

The queen ate her brood and still got thinner, the old workers died off one by one, and I finally discovered the queen dead last night.

It's a bit gutting, but not unexpected. They've been in decline for weeks, maybe months, and in the end I just don't know why this colony failed - particularly since it's the only one in a professional formicarium.

laziusniger

Back to top Go down

Post by Salt on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:42 am

Sorry to hear, hope your other colonies are doing better!

Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dermy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:30 am

laziusniger wrote:It's been a while since I updated, I know, but I guess I should. Despite my best efforts in providing mixeds seeds, crushed and whole, honey water, various insects and livefoods.co.uk insect jelly, I was unable to get this colony to eat. They pulled all sorts of stuff down into the nest but just left it to mould - it'll be a right job cleaning it up again for new inhabitants. I even attached a test tube set up full of sand in case they wanted to move into that (like with the Messors), but no luck.

The queen ate her brood and still got thinner, the old workers died off one by one, and I finally discovered the queen dead last night.

It's a bit gutting, but not unexpected. They've been in decline for weeks, maybe months, and in the end I just don't know why this colony failed - particularly since it's the only one in a professional formicarium.

I am really terribly sorry to hear about your loss! Sometimes ant Colonies fail and there really isn't any reasoning behind it sad I wish you luck with your Next Colony though Smile
dermy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thebugforum.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by laziusniger on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:22 am

Thanks guys. By this point it was more frustrating than sad, as they didn't seem to take advantage of anything i gave them. (I guess having got them for free with the formicarium may have helped too...)

Oh well, chalk that one up to experience. Maybe I stressed her out too much at the beginning, putting her into the nest before she was ready to move and then wanting to see how she was doing too often? In contrast, Berenice sat in a test tube in the dark for much longer and moved out when she wanted, and now gets disturbed much less frequently.

In fact, I'm strongly querying how I keep the ants in general. At the moment, the colonies are all in one big cardboard box which helps with temperature control and light levels, and I then lift out the colonies when I want to have a look. That's probably a bit worrying for them, actually. Perhaps I should try to rig up a way of controlling temperature and light levels which lets me view them without moving the habitats? Just not sure how to do that.

Also, do ants acclimatise to light? As in, if you keep them in a tall, thin formicarium, would you need to keep it blacked out most of the time for them to be healthy or would they get used to it being light?

laziusniger

Back to top Go down

Post by laziusniger on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:52 am

This is how they're kept, by the way - you can see there's a tub of mealworm beetles on top of Anne's tub, too.

laziusniger

Back to top Go down

Post by dermy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:54 pm

laziusniger wrote:Thanks guys. By this point it was more frustrating than sad, as they didn't seem to take advantage of anything i gave them. (I guess having got them for free with the formicarium may have helped too...)

Oh well, chalk that one up to experience. Maybe I stressed her out too much at the beginning, putting her into the nest before she was ready to move and then wanting to see how she was doing too often? In contrast, Berenice sat in a test tube in the dark for much longer and moved out when she wanted, and now gets disturbed much less frequently.

In fact, I'm strongly querying how I keep the ants in general. At the moment, the colonies are all in one big cardboard box which helps with temperature control and light levels, and I then lift out the colonies when I want to have a look. That's probably a bit worrying for them, actually. Perhaps I should try to rig up a way of controlling temperature and light levels which lets me view them without moving the habitats? Just not sure how to do that.

Also, do ants acclimatise to light? As in, if you keep them in a tall, thin formicarium, would you need to keep it blacked out most of the time for them to be healthy or would they get used to it being light?

Lots of questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge:

1- Yeah disturbing a queen or young colony can stress them out really badly Neutral

2- You can put a sheet [darker colour better] over-top the Formicariums and that will provide darkness/comfort.

3- They can get accustomed to light but some species just don't like it at all and it can stress them out a lot it really depends on specific species and even just specific Colonies, they are like humans, some don't like light and others do.
dermy
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thebugforum.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top